Welcome to Skerton Liberal Club In Lancaster
‘Acrelands’, a Grade 2 Listed Building is a large detached Georgian house built in 1799 which was owned by Lord Ashton and was occupied by his estate manager and various servants between 1873 and 1930. When Lord Ashton died, his Ryelands estate including ‘Acrelands” was then purchased by Lancaster Corporation.
In 1932, Skerton Liberal Club, which had occupied premises at 22 Lune Street since 1896 bought ‘Acrelands’ from the Corporation for the princely sum of £960.
Two years later, an additional area of land was purchased from the Corporation to provide a bowling green. The first full time steward was appointed in 1939.
In 1975, the first extension on the rear of the building was built. This was demolished in 1995 and replaced by the excellent facilities that we have today.